Friday, June 17, 2011

Father's Day

The Father's Day tradition is centered around the honour of one's paternal influences (fathers, grandfathers and step-fathers). Here in Canada it is celebrated on the third Sunday in June. Most families plan activities like a breakfast, barbecues, dinners, and sports games. Many families settle for a long distance phone call if they live apart.


This is the last photo I took of my Dad, Hayward, about a year before he passed away. In the fall we made a trip to a pumpkin and apple farm near Ottawa.

My Dad passed away almost nine years ago and there is not a day that goes by that I do not think of him and miss him. I remember his big smile and how he would throw back his head and give a big laugh at something he found funny. I would give anything to hear that laugh now. Whenever I hear the hymn "How Great Thou Art", I think of Dad singing it while getting ready for Church and I would go with him. One of my fondest memories is that if I was out somewhere with my Dad and he had to introduce me, he would say, "this is our baby". I was the second born so that made me the baby of the family for sure, but I was in my 40's and he was still saying this. It made me laugh then, and still does when I think about it. He was a kind and caring Dad to my sister and me.

As we get older we understand that family, and life, are very previous and should not be taken for granted. I think this is something that our young people do not realise.
I wish I could share this Father's Day with my Dad, but he will be in my thoughts.

Dad, you will be in my heart forever. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment