Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Second Flower in my Garden

Today I found a daffodil blooming in my garden and it made me happy.

People associate the bright, yellow daffodil as a symbol of rebirth — a sign of the new beginnings that come with spring. Indeed, the daffodil is the birthday flower for March, the month in which the spring equinox begins. Daffodils are said to bring good fortune to the person who avoids trampling on them. Lest they bring unhappy vanity to the bride, daffodils should never be present at a wedding.

Over the last fifty years, the daffodil with its bright cheerful blossom has become synonymous with activities of the Canadian Cancer Society and the support it brings to families facing a cancer journey.



3 comments:

  1. I love the two tones to it. My crocuses are up as well I have some lung wort flowering. Isn't gardening the best. Maybe we should have a garden tour this summer for the ladies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lots of crocuses. My daffodils ( all 6 of them) have fat looking buds but I think it will be a while before they open. I hope they are as pretty as yours. I enjoyed the info about daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll have to try planting some of those this fall. They're lovely. I have some tulips growing in the middle of the lawn. I gues the squirrels were busy because I don't recall planting them there. My bleeding heart is about four inches high right now.

    ReplyDelete